Polygon Revelacoes: Ryu e Ken no KOF 98,Capcom Vs SNK 3 no PS2,Street Fighter III.4 entre outros

o site Polygon esta fazendo uma materia sobre a historia do Street Fighter e entrevistado o pessoal que trabalhou nos jogos etc nesse capitulo abordaram o crossover com a SNK e nele veio algumas revelacao que destaco aqui.

vale quando haver tempo ler posso ter pulado algo curioso ou revelador colando aqui:

Capcom vs. SNK: An oral history

We continue our Street Fighter history series with a look at the time Capcom partnered with its crosstown rival

By Matt Leone@LattMeone Jan 7, 2021, 12:00pm EST
Illustrations by Felipe Magaña for Polygon

22042017152819_capcom-snk-2000-dreamcast

Toyohisa Tanabe
(Capcom vs. SNK pixel art supervisor, SNK Japan)

I thought Capcom's staff liked SNK's characters and handled them with great care. I felt they poured a lot of love into the pixel work they did for them. According to what I heard, when they were making Capcom vs. SNK, the Capcom designers were all vying for the opportunity to design certain characters. "Let me design Iori Yagami!" "Give me Mai Shiranui!" So no, I wouldn't say that it was hard to blend together or anything. I think SNK felt comfortable putting these characters in the hands of the Capcom designers.

James Chen
(Capcom vs. SNK series FAQ writer)

Man, the SNK characters [looked] awesome. It was refreshing to see the characters look so cool. It was also just really awesome that it was actually made. That this finally [happened], this dream match, [after all the Dan jokes] and the Yuri clapbacks from SNK. And it was really just cool to see these two companies that had this rivalry finally coming together and making a game like this.

Toyohisa Tanabe

I had worked on the King of Fighters games at SNK, and those were kind of the big party titles where a bunch of different characters came together, but Capcom vs. SNK took that festive party atmosphere to the next level by transcending the company's boundaries. In many ways it was like a dream game for me. It was so nice seeing the characters that we had designed get reinterpreted by the people at Capcom. And as a game, too, I really loved it. At the time, it felt like the only way we could ever top this would be if we made a truly Olympic-scale fighting game ... something crazy like Sega versus Namco versus SNK versus Capcom.

[Ed. note: Prior to Capcom and SNK collaborating, Tanabe says he and other team members at SNK liked the idea of a crossover game so much that they developed one themselves — as a limited internal hobbyist project.]

Toyohisa Tanabe

I have a secret to tell you, and I don't know if this is something I really should be saying, but: [...] Two years before Capcom vs. SNK came out, we made King of Fighters '98, and we actually had a little bit of time after we finished development. So the team ended up making a build of the game with Ryu and Ken in it. This isn't something that a lot of people know — I think only the developers know about it, and I've never told anyone myself — but yeah, just for fun, before Capcom vs. SNK was a thing, I was playing as Ryu and Ken in King of Fighters '98. [...]

I doubt [a version of it still exists anywhere]. We did this on the development hardware, so of course it was never on a physical cartridge. Also, I'm just remembering this now, but it wasn't only Ryu and Ken that we ended up playing around with. We put in Dragon Ball characters, like Son Goku, as well.

[Ed. note: While Capcom vs. SNK made headlines for its concept and Capcom released a upgraded version, Capcom vs. SNK Pro, many say the series wasn’t fully realized until Capcom released Capcom vs. SNK 2 a year later. Featuring an expanded roster and more variety and polish, Capcom vs. SNK 2 marked the series’ turning point from a novelty to a tournament staple.]

Hideaki Itsuno
(Capcom vs. SNK 2 director, Capcom Japan)

Shortly after we finished Capcom vs. SNK 2, we started working on a 3D version of Capcom vs. SNK 3 for the PS2. CvS3 was meant to be the last [2D fighting game], but then it ended up becoming a 3D game along the way, and then SNK folded and that project got canceled too.

[Ed. note: In 2003, following an acquisition and bankruptcy filing, a new incarnation of SNK — under the name Playmore — finally released its take on the crossover arcade fighting game concept: SVC Chaos. The game redrew many of Capcom’s characters in the King of Fighters style and featured a deep roster (including Dan from the Street Fighter Alpha series, who was originally designed to parody two of SNK’s characters), but reviewed poorly and arrived too late to capitalize on the crossover buzz. In 2007, the company — by then, SNK Playmore — followed with SNK vs. Capcom Card Fighters DS, which also disappointed critics. Nishiyama left SNK well before either of those games released, but when asked about the overall success of the crossover series, he sums it up as a modest success.]

A uma parte dedicada ao cancelado Capcom Fight All Stars jogo de luta 3D e uma citacao que o Street Fighter III teria um quarto capitulo ou versao porem foi cancelado para a placa CPS-3 assim como outros projetos

https://www.polygon.com/2021/1/7/22214717/capcom-vs-snk-an-oral-history

Edited by Dav
  • Like 1
  • Dav changed the title to Polygon Revelacoes: Ryu e Ken no KOF 98,Capcom Vs SNK 3 no PS2,Street Fighter III.4 entre outros
42 minutos atrás, Dav disse:

I have a secret to tell you, and I don't know if this is something I really should be saying, but: [...] Two years before Capcom vs. SNK came out, we made King of Fighters '98, and we actually had a little bit of time after we finished development. So the team ended up making a build of the game with Ryu and Ken in it. This isn't something that a lot of people know — I think only the developers know about it, and I've never told anyone myself — but yeah, just for fun, before Capcom vs. SNK was a thing, I was playing as Ryu and Ken in King of Fighters '98. [...]

I doubt [a version of it still exists anywhere]. We did this on the development hardware, so of course it was never on a physical cartridge. Also, I'm just remembering this now, but it wasn't only Ryu and Ken that we ended up playing around with. We put in Dragon Ball characters, like Son Goku, as well.

O prólogo do MUGEM.

• Like 1